Camp is long over, and I'm sure we've all been busy to some extent at editing or re-writing our novels. After a while, it can be easy to tire of the story you wrote in April, and it's only a matter of time before the desire for something new and fresh comes along.
Though I haven't really done any editing yet (I'm going to wait until after I graduate and have learned more about editing), I have felt that craving to start on a new work of fiction.
Have you guys had any new ideas or inspiration since April for new novels to write? I know I have! I was thinking that maybe we could all share what we've come up with.
One of the ideas I've had is about memory rewrite. Some organization (maybe a corrupt government), for some reason I haven't fleshed out yet, decides to re-write the memory of a random dude (the MC). But there's an error in the process, something goes wrong, and the MC escapes... before his original memory could be erased! Now he has two sets of memories, of two separate lives (one real and one fake); and he's alone out in the streets, where he makes an unlikely ally: a hobo who makes his way playing a tin whistle (surprise, Ellie!). With his new friend, the MC sets out on a quest to find out which of his memories are fake, and which are real; which life he lived, and based on that life, who he really is.
I'm thinking the reason the organization tried to rewrite the MC's memory was because they wanted to make him into a hit-man. Included in his new memories is combat training and assassination skills, perhaps with a plan to shoot some high-ranking or important individual. Maybe the organization tampered with the MC's memory so that he thinks he's affiliated with a rival organization, so that when/if he gets caught in his assassination attempt, the rival organization will get framed. Maybe the whole purpose of the memory rewrite was to create a hit-man and a scapegoat all in one, so that the organization would have no way of getting caught for the assassination. But they never expected that an error would occur in the process...
I'm also thinking another ally the MC could have is one of the scientists from the organization. Maybe the scientist's conscience pricks him to hard, and as a result, he decides to sabotage the memory rewriting process and help the MC escape, and eventually to help the MC discover who he once was.
I'm also thinking that special agents of the organization will come after the MC to try to bring him back in or maybe even kill him. Maybe one of the agents (perhaps in a second book) will be a successful version of what the organization tried on the MC, with a completely re-written memory. Maybe the MC will help him rediscover who he is, and thus make another powerful ally.
Anyway, I'm giving away too much, and I hope you guys don't steal or sell my idea or anything like that (though it's probably too crazy for anything like that!).
So have you guys had any new ideas for novels? Go ahead and share them!
Are you kidding me!!!! That's so awesome! ^o^ How lovely! Your story idea sounds really neat, Jonny. REALLY neat! Even besides the hobo, but he's definitely a strong point. Goshes woshes, does he have a name yet? I never thought about his name before....
ReplyDeleteI have two ideas I'm juggling with. The first was just to get 100k with no outline--pretty much just winging a humorous story to see how much words I can get, not worrying about the story at all, etc. (I was going to write about a girl writing her first nanowrimo novel....)
The second was the one I told you just popped up while I was half asleep, about a guy waking up in a medieval castle caught in the prince's armor. That story idea is very incomplete and I would have to use some hardcore brainpower to figure out the story from where it is right now, but I do like it.
So yeah, what about the rest of y'all.
Wow! That is such an AMAZING story! I can't wait till it becomes a bestseller. Don't forget to give me a signed copy! ;D
ReplyDeleteI'm still working on the trilogy I was writing in April. Word count was boosted from 30k to 52k. I'm so excited for July!!!!
52k! Congratulations! Whoooo!!!! I can't wait for July either!
DeleteCongratulations Cayla!! That's so cool!
DeleteHey guys, sorry I didn't even see this till now, although I guess it was just posted recently. :)
ReplyDeleteThat idea sounds SO cool Jonny! You should totally do it, and don't worry, I won't take your idea. :) Have you seen Total Recall? It's *kinda* similar, but different enough that your story would probably still work. I'd just say, check out some different story lines in already-published books and movies, just to make sure nobody else has done your idea already.
Oh, I forgot to tell you guys, I used that 'bows, glad you find me amusing' thing on FB with some friends. :D
This is so awesome - a bunch of us all on here together :)
Thanks for the tip, Cari! I had never heard of Total Recall, but now that I've looked it up, I can do a better job of making my story different from it. I laughed when I saw that the MC was the inverse of mine: In Total Recall, a special agent has his memory rewritten so he thinks he's an average person, and my MC was supposed to be an average person with his memory re-written to be a special agent. Anyway, hanks again. Stuff like that really helps, as much as I hate finding out when my ideas have already been done before.
DeleteAnd thanks to everyone else for the compliments!
Hey Jonny,
DeleteI was thinking, one thing you might want to include in your story is that if he was a regular guy, he wouldn't have all the physical training of a special agent. So things like running, jumping, whatever could be harder for him. Like he could have the knowledge, but physically it would be harder unless he was the type of guy that's super fit and goes the gym regularly. I was just thinking, that would be another wrench to throw at him, like when he's out on the street and has the two half-memories thing going on. :)
Also, like if he picked up a gun, he'd have the knowledge of how to operate it (maybe, if that's what you end up including), but maybe his arms would get tired really quickly because he's physically not used to handling them. That sort of thing. It might also feel weird, having the knowledge/fake memories, but since he might not have the physical muscle memory, it would clash and maybe make him feel out of sorts.
Anyway, just a thought. :) I think your idea would make a super cool novel!
Funny, I was going to do exactly that! One of the clues leading him to the truth about his memory was going to be him realizing that he doesn't have the muscle memory to utilize most of the cool combat skills he remembers learning. Cool that you thought of the same thing!
DeleteYour story is sounding way too cool, Jonny.
DeleteOh, I forgot to say what I'm doing about my novel. I'm trying to get it edited in time to get the 5 free proof copies from CreateSpace. Do you guys want to read Chapter 1? I wrote a new scene.
ReplyDeleteI want to read chapter one!
DeletePeeps! Peeps! Peeps! I drew Sam!
ReplyDeletehttp://unique-firecracker-4.deviantart.com/art/Samwise-375843364
I drew my lil bro, Jonny, too if you look at my gallery. I've been drawing a lot! ^_^
Hey, I just figured out what this story idea finally leads too, about the Princes' armor....I'm so happy I figured out how he got there and all....yeah....hahahaha! I LOVE IT! Ahhhhhhh
ReplyDeleteOkay, well, reading it over again, it might need some work, but I can do that later, work out the kinks. For now, I'll go to bed and dream some more.
(Hey, maybe brilliant ideas come late at night, you think?)
Tons of brilliant ideas come at night. Just be sure to right them down, because they rarely like to hang around until morning. ;)
DeleteGlad to hear your story is coming along! I still haven't decided on what my second book should be for July. Marooned on Manticore might not work, but the other ideas I want to do would require more research than I have time for.
Yeah, well last night I thought about it in bed for a real long time and came up with a total different twist on the plot. Makes me even more happy, though I'm gonna have the hardest time getting to that point. ^_^ This is why I love writing....Why do some people not like writing? I love writing. I can't wait for Nanowrimo. It's 18 days away. Oh man, I wish it was sooner!
DeleteI have no idea why so many people don't like writing. It's so fun!
DeleteCare to actually share anything, or are you just going to taunt us?
Grrr....I think my stupid brain is just ADD and keeps forgetting to POST the comments, I don't know.
DeleteHaha, anyway, I never thought you'd ask! Hahaha! No, actually it's too long to explain....but it's pretty sweet.
That seems like a reasonable explanation. ;) JK!
DeleteOh. Okay. We'll just have to wait until Cabin Invincible re-assembles; you can tell us then! :)
I had a really good idea for some historical fiction to write! Check out my novel info to see what I'm talking about...
ReplyDelete